Made some good progress on the boat today. I realized that I didn’t need to worry about picking up my wood after all. See, the lumber yard offers free shipping on order over $500. Gives you a little idea of how much this baby’s costing me, eh?

Anyhoo, the wood was sitting in my garage when I got home Friday. At right, that’s $280 worth of oak. Doesn’t look like much, but it’s expensive as all get out. Much of this wood will go all the way down the boat and can’t be joined together. Since the boat is 15-feet-long, I needed a lot of 16-foot sections of 1″ x 4″ oak.

And, below, sits the marine-grade plywood. The hull will be made of these sheets. The plywood is thin enough that it’ll just wrap it around the stern. Then I’ll apply a fiberglass coating, so the boat won’t sink. In theory, you’ll never be able to look at the boat and tell that it’s made out of plywood. Apparently, many professional boats are made the same way. (At least that’s what that boat-building book told me.)

So, here’s today’s progress:


I attached all the frames.

And, I attached the stern to both the frame and the breasthook (the little triangular piece at the very front.)

All of those attachments were made with screws and my “plastic resin glue.” It’s a powder that mixes with water and then makes super-strong glue.

The breasthook is secured to those pieces of wood (blocking) so that it can’t move. When I start applying the plywood, the stern and breasthook will receive a lot of stress.

The blocking had to be exactly the right height, as well. At some point, I’ll need to quit pointing out how all these measurements have to be exact and usually take about 45 minutes to get just right. But, I do find that’s the most time-consuming part of the work.

So, that’s enough for one day. I’ll post more tomorrow night.